For all lovers of traditional and acoustic music in the Washington, DC area, there are some terrific concerts coming up over the next two months.
- Monday, September 29 – The Carolina Chocolate Drops at the Kennedy Center’s Millennium Stage (Free!). A terrific band playing in the African American string band tradition of the Southern mountains. Check out the video below.
- Monday, September 29 – Kevin Burke and Cal Scott for the Institute of Musical Traditions. Yes, this day brings an embarrassment of riches, as just about the best Irish fiddler on the planet plays at St. Mark’s Presbyterian Church on Old Georgetown Road in Rockville.
- Monday, October 6 – Nightingale, a great contra band, for IMT at St. Mark’s in Rockville.
- Saturday, November 1 – The Infamous Stringdusters play for the DC Bluegrass Union’s fall concert in Falls Church. Catch one of the hot young bands in bluegrass.
- Monday, November 24 – David Grier, one of the great guitar flatpickers of his generation, plays for the Monday night IMT concert at St. Mark’s.
Use the comments box to add other upcoming concerts of note. And over the next couple of months, take the opportunity to listen to some live music.
More to come…